Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Action Research Activity

Let me begin by saying that I am extremely confused as to which direction I am supposed to take at this point. I was taking this class in July when I had family issues that caused me to not be able to complete the month. It seems that they have revamped the EDMDT program and I am caught in the middle. I began in April and have been working on a thesis paper and project. I am unsure at this point if I've got to change my direction or not. Having said this, I am going to explain what I chose as my thesis topic, why I chose it and how I am implementing my project.

The topic I have chosen for my thesis is the following: Problem: the lack of funds and opportunities for my students to take field trips, Solution: Take students on virtual fieldtrips using Second Life. I am very excited about this chance to explore this new trend in education. I am looking into the Teen Second Life site, as well and comparing the two to see which has more sites that meet my personal needs as an educator.

My thesis relates to the EMDTMS program in several ways. First, it’s obviously related to educational technology and media. This program stresses using new technologies in new ways and this is a scary and sometimes inconceivable idea to a lot of people. I am totally sold on using virtual worlds to educate, but I am afraid getting permission to explore such avenues will be met with resistance.

During the short time I have explored Second Life, I have seen so many interesting ways people have used the technology available. I also feel it lends itself to the student’s natural curiosity and game loving mentality. It would almost be as if they were simply playing and not learning, it’s that engaging.

I feel educators and parents, as well, would be interested in reading my thesis paper. It will hopefully open some minds to new ways of approaching education and how we deliver content to our students in this fast paced world. One goal would definitely be towards answering any questions and easing worried minds of their children being exposed to an online virtual world. That would be the biggest hurdle, in my opinion to being able to move forward with my goal of incorporating Second Life into my curriculum.

In regards to the final media project, I plan on filming an example of a virtual field trip and show how a teacher could simply present a filmed adventure on Second Life or extend it to using actual students and send them on a scavenger hunt, quest type of adventure. Either choice can easily be filmed and presented in that format.



No comments:

Post a Comment